DRINKING AND BED HABBIT

DRINK PLENTY OF WATER

You already know how important water is to your overall health and appearance. Your skin is made up of 64 percent water, and if you don’t drink the right amount of water regularly, you’ll no doubt see the effects of dehydration, which can make wrinkles and fine lines look even more pronounced. Here’s what you might not know: on average, women need 91 ounces a day, while men need 125 ounces, according to the National Academy of Medicine.

Fortunately, you don’t have to meet this need by drinking water alone. You can also get water through foods like fruits and vegetables, as well as other beverages like coffee, tea, and juice. The Academy recommends getting 80 percent of your daily intake from water and other beverages (even if they’re caffeinated), and the remaining 20 percent from food. Note that if you live in a hot climate or are super active, you might need more.

PUT BLUE LIGHT TO BED

A good night’s sleep is a hallmark of good health and a younger appearance. But are you sabotaging your sleep with electronic devices? “Blue light” is emitted from almost all devices, including TVs, smartphones, tablets, and computers. When you use any of these at night, that blue light suppresses the release of sleep-promoting melatonin in your body. Because your body doesn’t get signals to sleep, you stay awake longer than you normally would and have more trouble falling asleep.

Using these devices before bed also reduces the amount of rapid eye movement (REM) sleep you get. Your body cycles through five stages of sleep every night, including REM sleep. This is usually the stage when dreaming occurs, and it plays a role in memory, learning, and mood regulation.

You can use blue light-blocking glasses (your eye doc may sell them) or install screen-dimming apps like flux, Sunset Screen, or Iris. Even better? Stop using these devices thirty to sixty minutes before you crawl into bed. And don’t put them near your bed or you could be tempted to use them in the middle of the night.

Leave a Reply

Please rate*

Your email address will not be published.